GCRO has spent considerable time and resources building a 'data warehouse' encompassing the Gauteng City-Region. Various applications, available via the Urban Data Gallery, showcase GCRO’s data and analysis. A few of the key datasets available from GCRO are described below.
Quality of Life survey data
GCRO’s primary dataset is the biennial Quality of Life survey (QoL) which measures the quality of life, socio-economic circumstances, attitudes to service delivery, psycho-social attitudes, value-base and other characteristics of the GCR. Five QoL datasets are currently available: QoL I (2009); QoL II (2011); QoL III (2013/14); QoL IV (2015/16), and QoL V (2017/18). Any of the QoL datasets (in SPSS or Stata format) are available on request for research or other non-commercial purposes (email@example.com). Additionally, QoL III and earlier can be accessed via the Quality of Life survey data viewer.
New innovative sources of spatial data have been purchased to assist in the spatial analysis and mapping of the GCR. Data licences were negotiated with the data suppliers to include access by Wits and UJ students and lecturers for academic, teaching and research (non-financial gain) purposes. The list of data includes:
- Afrigis: Bizcount geocoded business layer (2010), gated communities (2012)
- GeoTerraImage (GTI): 2009 provincial land cover, 2010/2012 urban land cover (2.5m resolution),
- GTI: Growth Indicator/building-based land use – 2001 and 2010/2012 land use per building (70+ sub classes, providing a classification of land use activities per building across the urban areas in Gauteng)
- GTI: development initiatives (2013). A spatial dataset illustrating submitted, refused and approved applications and potential future growth such as rezoning of existing cadastre and township developments on farm portions and agricultural holdings
- GTI: Growth Indicator – demography. An indication of the 2012 and 2014 demographic dynamics and population at an EA-level, updated through demographic analysis and forecasting and building-based land use datasets.
- GTI: land use change 1990-2000-2013. A unique and standardized temporal land use dataset derived from Landsat imagery, that provides insight into the basic land use changes in the GCR
- Lightstone: Deeds transfers and property valuation per EA. Average Deeds transfers per EA as well as number of properties/transactions in various price bands from 1993-2010, and average valuation per EA based on Lightstone’s Automated Valuation Model (AVM) per EA from 2007-2010.
Students and lecturers from UJ and Wits are encouraged to make use of these valuable datasets for research projects focusing on the GCR. Examples of some of these layers are available on the GCRO GIS website.
For more information, please contact Christian Hamann.
The GCRO sends out regular news to update subscribers on our research and events.