Peripheries and rural / urban transitions
- Dr Ngaka Mosiane, Dr Sally Peberdy
The GCRO and the National Research Foundation South African Research Chairs Initiative in Development Planning and Modelling (NRF:SARChI) have partnered to undertake a research project exploring peripheral areas and rural/urban transitions in the GCR.
The project has examined development trajectories as well as demographic and socio-spatial change in peripheral areas, towns and centres of Gauteng. The project has two themes.
- Using data from GCRO Quality of Life Surveys and Census 2011, the GCRO has examined the socio-economic and demographic dimensions of change in peripheral areas of the GCRO. Before this was possible it developed a methodology to identify peripheral and core areas in the GCR. Doing this enabled examination of the ways that peripherality can be multiple, flexible and expressed in different ways, places and times across space.
- The NRF:SARChI team has focused on the place-economies of peripheral areas of the GCR. These investigations have been place specific and centred on de-industrialising and mining spaces in the GCR.
The research is complete and the GCRO and NRF:SARChI teams have completed draft reports of their findings. The preliminary results were presented at a GCRO co-hosted Faces of the City seminar ‘Gauteng on the Edge’ at the University of the Witwatersrand in May 2015.
A final report has been completed and is awaiting publication. The report comprises an introduction and two papers that speak to the research theme:
GCRO (forthcoming) ‘Peripheries and Rural/Urban Transitions in the Gauteng City-Region’.
- Peberdy, S. (2016). ‘Section one: Uneven development and the social economy of core and peripheral areas of Gauteng’.
- Harrison, P., Dinath, Y. (2016). ‘Section two: Gauteng – on the edge,’.
Peberdy, S. (2015). ‘Conceptualising the edge’, ‘Faces of the City: Gauteng on the Edge’ presented at a workshop co-hosted by the GCRO, the NRF-SARChI team and CUBES at the University of the Witwatersrand, May 2015.
Peberdy, S. (2015). ‘Demographic and socio-economic dynamics in the core and periphery of Gauteng’ presented at a workshop co-hosted by the GCRO, the NRF-SARChI team and CUBES at the University of the Witwatersrand, May 2015.
Wray, C., Peberdy, S., and Damon, K. (2014). ‘Visualising core and peripheral areas in the Gauteng City-Region, South Africa,’ a poster presented at the RGS/IBG Conference, London, August 2014.