Welcomes and farewells for GCRO
- Date of publication: 28 November 2016
2016 saw extensive change within GCRO's staff complement. The GCRO team said good bye to the following staff as they each went on to pursue exciting new opportunities:
- Chris Wray (Geospatial Professional at KWS Group, Germany)
- Claudious Chikozho (Executive Director, African Institute of South Africa (AISA), HSRC)
- Kerry Bobbins (enrolled in a PhD, University College London)
- Caryn Abrahams (Wits School of Governance)
- Guy Trangoš (enrolled in a PhD, Harvard Graduate School of Design)
- Farah-Naaz Moosa (City Institute, Wits University).
Having lost key staff in late 2015 and early 2016, GCRO embarked on a substantial recruitment exercise in the first quarter. The lead advertisement was for multiple research jobs and resulted in an overwhelming 60 applications, many of which were very strong. After an extensive shortlisting and interview process the following were appointed to the GCRO research team:
- Mamokete Matjomane (Junior researcher)
- Jesse Harber (Researcher)
- Gillian Maree (Senior researcher)
- Thembani Mkhize (Junior researcher)
- Ngaka Mosiane (Senior researcher)
- Alex Parker (Researcher)
We also welcomed Elaine Milton, previous Director of Employment Relations at Wits, as Director: Partnerships and Operations. Bronwen Stewart joined us on a temporary basis as administrator and receptionist. Over the past 6 months, Kate Joseph has provided GCRO with some needed additional capacity, and we are thrilled that she will continue working with us in the coming months, working in particular on our social cohesion project with the City of Johannesburg.
At our strategic retreat, which was held in November2016, the enormous increase in capacity, both in terms of the number and calibre of the staff, became gratifyingly apparent.